Thursday 3 March 2016

World Book Day

Thursday 3rd March 2016

Eeek! I'm into my last month ever of working at Silverdale Library. This has been the best and nicest job I've ever had and I love coming in every day.

Nathan took me into work - as he needed the car today. He also brought his drone with him. I bought it for him a couple of Christmases ago but it hasn't had much use. Today he used it to take some video in the library. Obviously he did this before we opened - didn't want to be flying it into any customers and giving them a buzz cut! It worked really well and took quite a bit of video from above - I've not seen it from that angle before. Once he has edited some - I'll put a link on here so you can see it.  It looks brilliant!


Cute books for boys :-)
It was a really busy day today too. So many people in that I'd never seen before - many using the computers. Sometimes I get customers from further afield - like Newcastle - because we have a free car park in Silverdale - right by the library. No steps or stairs either :-)

Had a couple of problems to sort out - one uploading a CV to Universal Job match (a doddle!) and another who wanted to print out the application to become a cricket umpire. After many goes at pressing PRINT and nothing happening I realised that we needed to download the pdf before it would actually print out. That worked and the chap was very happy. He had got to the point of asking me if he could take a hammer to the PC - but luckily that wasn't necessary in the end.


Books for tough girls :-)





It was World Book Day today - and I had some free £1 book tokens to hand out to any kids that came in. However, as the banking needed doing and my lovely boss T came for the whole afternoon - I wasn't there for the end of the day. I don't see many kids in during the week. It's difficult with us closing at 4.30pm - as there is only the last hour or so when they can get in after school. I was looking forward to seeing some of them dressed up in literary costume.

Had lots of new kids books in too - I'm not sure I approve of the cute, fluffy, helpful animal books aimed at girls and the tough, scary monster-fighting books aimed at boys. I think I'll be encouraging them to take the opposite - would do both sexes some good!

Read the instructions!
Victory!
My Blast from the Past today comes from  last July and represents every summer when I've had to try and construct the Summer Reading Challenge dump bins all by myself! Tracy was so much better at them than me! They were a challenge - but I feel quite sad that I won't be doing it again this year :-(










No comments:

Post a Comment