Friday 11 March 2016

Three weeks to go...

Thursday 10th March 2016


Last day!!
It really brought it home to me today that time is running out - as I as stamping books with the day of my departure. Noooooo!

Had a busy day - the poets were on good form. I could hear them reading out their poems with gusto! Also, the computers were busy. I had a chap come in with his son - he said they were new to Silverdale. I got them signed up and the while his boy was on the computers his dad was looking at the black and white photos around the wall of the library.

They are all on loan from the Borough Museum and are of Silverdale mine and the miners working there. My dad worked there for the last twelve months that it was open. My new customer was asking me where it was - I told him that it was now under the Country Park. He asked what kind of mine it was -so I told him -coal. He told me he as interested because he was from a town in Zambia where there was a copper mine. I showed him our local history section so he could find out more.

I also had Mrs D in - she was trying to renew her American passport online. She is from California. She likes it in Silverdale so much- she says she wouldn't go back! I told her I'd been to San Francisco last year and she told me she lived there for a year or so. Then she moved upstate to Gold Country - which was really out in the middle of nowhere. I asked if she saw a lot of wildlife and she said she used to have brown bears on her porch! Don't get that in Silverdale!

I was dreading the afternoon as our new Community Librarian was coming to hold a Finding Out session for prospective volunteers. I really didn't want to sit there and hear him telling people what wonderful opportunities and roles are available. It was as upsetting as I feared. Although only four people came - I didn't like to think they'll be replacing me. I needed a drink when I got home!!


No comments:

Post a Comment