Tuesday 8 March 2016

Trying Monday...

Monday 7th March 2016

It has indeed been quite a trying day today. Mainly because of the new bus pass system that has been installed over the last 2 weeks. That means that no-one has been able to apply for or renew a bus pass all this time - so many have been eagerly awaiting the day that the new system was up and running. That was meant to be today.

I only realised on Friday that with Silverdale being a future "Community Managed Community Staffed"  library they didn't want me doing bus passes through the system for customers - and then lose this service when I am redundant at the end of the month. So, my customers have to do it themselves using the public access computers. Also the new requirement is to have the proof of ID documents photographed via a webcam. They won't give me a login and password so I can do it for them - as I'd been doing over the last few years..
Lavender-Scented heart

So, I don't think that many of my customers who come in to renew their bus passes have actually even touched a computer before. This would mean instead of me doing it at my PC, quickly and easily - I have to get them signed up for internet access, give them a PIN, show them how to login, show them how to find the bus pass link from the County Council website, then how to fill in all the boxes and plug in a webcam and photograph themselves and their documents!

There just won't be time when I have the counter to staff on my own.

In total I had seven people in during the morning - including one man who'd brought his elderly auntie in. Unfortunately there was no link from the council website - just a note saying it was unavailable. I tried ringing every number I have for Newcastle library - but no-one answered the phone. I eventually got someone in Cannock, who said that they'd not had the icon yet for the website so they couldn't put it on yet.

So, I had to send them all away. I don't like it when I can't help people. :-(

Had the Coffee Tots in today as usual it was a loud and lively session. Also, Crossword Guy came in but didn't need help with his crossword! I know - I was shocked too! What he did want was the lyrics to "Just a Song at Twilight" as it had been driving him mad trying to think of the beginning. I Googled it and printed him out the lyrics and he went off happy. The song is actually called "Love's Old Sweet Song"

I have been sent a form to fill in - asking for details of all the things that future volunteers will need to know about Silverdale - like where the light switches are and how you test the fire alarms. The final question was "Any Other useful information specific to your library - you can see what I wrote.
My heart Blast from the Past picture is a lavender pomander made for me by the local vicar's wife back in October 2014. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment