Tuesday 1 March 2016

I do like Mondays...

Monday 29th February 2016


It's Leap Day - and according to the internet we don't get paid for working an extra day!  As Feb is coming very rapidly to an end I thought I'd take a selfie at the counter. :-)

Lots happening today too. There was another PEEPS session - parenting classes run in conjunction with the local Children's Centre. That took place in the bigger of our meeting rooms. I could hear a few choruses of Row, Row, Row the Boat halfway through the morning.

The chap from Trinity came to check our fire alarms. As Premises Manager (Oh yes - I am more than just a qualified librarian!) I have to test the alarms and emergency lighting every week. I also have to check the water temperatures throughout the building for legionella once a month. These all have to be recorded in the Health and Safety Manuals.

Fire alarm testing



The Trinity chap has been coming here every sixth months for the last few years. He has special equipment to puff smoke at the alarms to see if they go off. I had to warn the customers to expect a very loud siren - but that they didn't have to run outside  this time.

He overheard me talking about my imminent redundancy to one of my customers and he interrupted to say that he was really sorry to hear that! He looked really upset! I was quite touched!

Crossword Guy aka Mr S was in too. He had quite a list for me today. Here we go:

1. An Olympic bronze winning German cyclist with the first name Judith

2. A member of the giraffe family with brown stripy legs - 5 letters

You are feeling sleepy...
3. The first name of weightlifter McKenzie - begins with P
4. The title of a Slayer Album - Hell .....
5. Another name for Perspex - begins with L
6. A type of popular cake Red ______

Answers below!
I knew a couple and checked out the others on the internet. He went off happy. Well, I say happy - he said he was off back to the washing up. He had been hoping that the doctor would say he couldn't do any more washing up! It's a hard life :-)

My Blast from the Past is a book we had in a little while ago. It caused quite a stir as it guarantees to get your kids to sleep. I had a look at it and I wasn't sure how it would work. It was quite complicated - as you had to emphasise some words and say other quietly and slowly. It made it quite difficult to read and the story didn't really flow. I'm not sure what little ones would think of it. It has to appeal to them if it is to become a bedtime favourite!


Answers: 1. Arndt 2. Okapi 3. Precious 4. Awaits 5. Lucite 5. Velvet

No comments:

Post a Comment