Sunday 17 January 2016

Snowy Saturday

Saturday 16th January 2016

Another icy day - the Parade was treacherous as no-one had gritted the pavement. I nearly fell over going into the Co-op for the local paper. Once I unlocked the library and switched off the alarm I got our bag of salt and grit from the boiler room and spread it all outside the library and up and down the easy access ramp. I didn't want anyone slipping outside my library!

Mrs D - straight from the hair salon!
The first hour was pretty quiet - but after that my Saturday regulars started to come in. Mr. C was picking his horses - although he said it looked like it would be a bad day for betting. I guess a few meetings could be called off due to the hard ground. He never bets on anything else, like football or the rugby - just the horses. I ordered him a book on how to win at racing - but I didn't seem much difference in his winnings after he read it. I think he knows most of it already! He does like to read about the trainers, like Henry Cecil and also any books on horse racing scandals.

Local Author Graham Bebbington
Today's featured regular is the lovely Mrs D. who comes in every Saturday without fail. She always comes straight from the hairdresser's - so she didn't mind me taking her photo as she is looking her best!

She loves her crime books and has read most of my stock! However, today she was lucky as she found three on the New Books display.

My Blast from the Past is from back in December 2014 when I had a very busy day. Quadruple whammy at Silverdale Library: Coffee tots, class visit for stories and Christmas crafts ( Thanks Farida!), head teacher surgery for prospective parents and author book signing! All at the same time.

This is a photo of Graham Bebbington, a local author who has written quite a lot about Silverdale. His previous one  Silverdale: Five Road Ends is one of the most popular local history books to go out. This time he was launching his new book - a biography of the Cheadle-born poet Charles Masefield, who died at the age of 35, having been wounded at Lens in July 1917. It is called The Life and Times of Charles Masefield - check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment