Friday 29 January 2016

Poets in full flow...

Thursday 28th January 2016


Caroline
I love Thursdays - 'cos it's poets day! The wonderful Keele Poets at Silverdale have their weekly class. They come from far and wide (mainly Cheshire - which is a whole county away!) Caroline is the tutor - and not only is she an amazing poet herself - she's also a researcher and the agent for Oxford Professor of Poetry - the wonderful Simon Armitage. If it wasn't for her - he would never have visited our little village library.

I like to get the room ready before they come - because sometimes some of them can get stuck in road works or on the motorway. They like to have the desks moved out of the way and sit in a big circle. Caroline always sets them homework - and they all get chance to read their work to the others. I can quite often hear hilarity ensuing when I'm at the counter - the other end of the library from their room!


Caroline and her poets



They are the ones who wrote all the poems that are proudly displayed in our Public Toilet - as part of their Bards in the Bog projects. Customers love them - but do tend to spend a lot longer in there than they used to!

Busy reading their work



One of the poets wrote a fab poem about Silverdaleans - turning them into Silvered Aliens! It was very funny :-)

At Christmas they wrote one about me - the are so lovely!




Very proud of my poem :-)


Library volunteer
Their term lasts until the end of March - then they have a break until the following September. I just hope that things are going well in the library then - so that they can still have their room. They all love coming to Silverdale - the room is just right, there are no stairs or steps and we even got them a hearing loop for the room - to help the few with hearing difficulties. There's also free parking in The Parade!


Today's Blast from the Past is one of my more unwelcome customers - eeek! I don't like spiders - and this one was HUGE! Also there's a kind of funnel web just behind the photocopier where a spider has been living for the last 9 years! Or maybe a succession of spiders - many generations even.

I don't think I'll miss this customer too much! Talking of missing customers - I've not seen Mr C all week. I am seriously worried. I will have to text him if he's not in tomorrow....






No comments:

Post a Comment