Thursday 21 January 2016

Monday puzzles

Monday 18th January 2016

I'm only in work for one day this week. off to London for the rest of the week helping out Jigsaw School Apps at the huge BETT 2016 show. It was a busy day though. We had a new group starting to use our rooms this week - they are going to alternate with Coffee Tots - every other week. This is good as it means that the rooms are used every Monday now!
Mr S in the Reference section
They are called PEEPS and from what I can gather it is some kind of parenting class to support local mums and dads. They were not sure if anyone would turn up with it being the first one - although they did have nine parents signed up. They needn't have worried - as they all came! That's the good thing about Silverdale Library - right on the High Street and easy for everyone to get to.

It helps being next to the Co-op too. It's the only supermarket in the village - and very handy for getting lunch! I have to tell you - their "Co-op Bakery" Bakewell tarts are heavenly! Crisp thin pastry, loads of jam and soft sticky almond filling. I think I might lose a few stone once I stop working here!

Another Monday regular is Mr S. who comes in every week without fail, clutching his clipboard! No- he's not doing a survey - he is trying to complete his Sunday Magazine crosswords! He has them on his clipboard, pencil behind his ear so he can sketch in answers when he finds them. He can spend hours looking through our reference books on film, biography, history and many other topics trying to get the last few clues he couldn't get at home.

It's only after he has searched our stock for answers that he comes to me on the counter and asks if I know any of them. As a final resort - if I don't know them off the top of my head - he will get me to Google them. This week I knew about Guns 'n' Roses - but had to look up who the Greek goddess of magic was! It turns out it was Circe. ;-)

I love Mondays!!

The afternoon was just as busy! We had a class visit from the local primary school's Year 6. Tracy, our area's Children's Librarian came to take this session - observed by my lovely boss Terry. This is because his new job in April will mean he has to do lots of events like this and less of organising staff to work at all the branches.

Let's Do This!
 As these children were a bit older it wasn't a story time and craft session. Instead they had a talk about the Dewey Decimal system (I approve!) and how all books were arranged in the library - followed by a noisy game of Dewey Bingo! They certainly seemed to enjoy it.

My Blast from the Past today is a photo from back in 2011 when we had a Get Online day - but the tutor didn't turn up!

It was aimed at adults who hadn't dared touch a computer yet - but felt they really should take the plunge!

So, as I had some customers booked in for the session Nathan and I did it instead! We put on the oversized t-shirts and showed the attendees the basics of getting online and using the web.

It turned out pretty well!






No comments:

Post a Comment