Monday 15 February 2016

New Books Day!!!

Monday 15th February 2016

The day started off like a typical Monday - with the Crossword Guy, Mr. S and his clipboard. The clues that had him stumped this week were:

  1. What is the first name of Mrs Crabapple from The Simpsons? - Edna (I didn't need to Google that!)
  2. What kind of acids can't be synthesised by the body but have to be obtained through food? - Amino (I guessed that - but Googled it to make sure :-)
  3. What was the name of the flying island in Gulliver's Travels? - Laputa (Looked that up)
  4. Which author with the first name Howard wrote Finkler Questions - Jacobson (I knew that one :-)
What's inside?
Even more exciting - I had a delivery of new books! I love new books days! Today they were from Peters - which meant children's books. There was a new Jacqueline Wilson, two Wimpy Kid books and a deluxe edition of Where's Wally and many others.


Something for everyone!
I had to receipt them all on Axiell, our Library Management System and then stamp them with the Silverdale stamp before checking to see if any had requests on them. Only one did - the Wimpy Kid Old School one by Jeff Kinney. It is amazing how popular these comic strip books are. I firmly believe that it doesn't matter what kids read (within reason) as long as they are reading for enjoyment! There is so much variety in children's books these days - I love to read them myself :-) I have to say one of my favourites was John Green's The Fault in our Stars. Such a great story and written in a great accessible style.
 There really is something for everyone out there.



I always wanted a Library Cat
My Blast from the Past today is another favourite book of mine - Dewey!

It was all about a Library Cat in the USA. He has been found in a book return bin outside a library when he was a tiny kitten and he was looked after by the library staff and actually lived in the library all his life. He became quite a celebrity!

I always wanted a library cat of my own for Silverdale. There was a local feral moggie that used to hang around The Parade the first few years I was here. Occasionally he'd wander into the library - but \I could never persuade him to stay for long! He was quite an independent cat.  The pet shop in The Parade used to leave food outside the shop for him - and I later discovered that Mr. C used to buy him a carton of Felix on a Sunday - because the shop was shut. That's so sweet :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment