Saturday 6 February 2016

National Libraries Day

Saturday 6th February 2016

Design your own bookmark
It has been a busy, busy morning!

Firstly, it is National Libraries Day - so we'd usually have some kind of event to get young ones excited and involved. Sadly, with single staffing I had to do something that didn't take any staff input. I was sent some bookmarks to cut out - so that I could let kids have a go at colouring them in on their own. I wasn't sure how that would go - but the ones that came in today were actually pretty enthusiastic!

It's a good job too - as I was really busy at the counter - I had a few queues today.

Madison came in with her dad and had a go at the snake bookmark - and she made a fantastic job - it was ever so realistic. Then she told me that as well as two dogs and two cats - she also has a snake at home. When I asked her how big it was she stretched out her hands really wide!! That's why her bookmark looked so good :-)

I asked her dad if it was okay to take a photo for the blog and he said it was fine - so you can see for yourself!


Madison and her snake
It's a shame her twin brothers didn't come in today - I'm sure they would have enjoyed it too. As a special treat - when she asked if she could stamp out her own books - I let her have a go.

Thomas came in with his mum and wanted to take his bookmark to decorate at home. A few others had a go too. The boys from last week came back in again  playing their circle game on the computers.. One had lost his card - and blamed his baby brother for chewing it.

There was also a chap on the computers for the last hour and it looked like he was catching up with a bit of War and Peace on the BBC iPlayer,

Mrs S was also in today. She is registered blind and loves our talking books. She always asks me to choose her some new ones. She likes a bit of crime - BUT - it has to have a detective in it. It's her first question when I say "his one looks like a good one" :-) "Yes - but has it got a detective in it?" She certainly lets me know the next week if it turns out there wasn't!

My Blast from the Past is still on a crafty theme - it was when the gardeners from Biddulph Grange came to Silverdale to show interested customers how to make themselves a hanging basket -  last summer.

They brought a van full of plants and moss and wire baskets - and all for free! It was great - and I was allowed to take part too! We all took our baskets home and they flowered all summer :-)
Making amazing hanging baskets



No comments:

Post a Comment