Friday 19 February 2016

Half-Term Hush

Thursday 17th February 2016

It was pretty quiet today - what with no classes going on because of half-term. I missed the poets and the bird-watchers. It was strange not to have to get the rooms ready for them.

When I got in first thing - the alarm had not been set - as it had gone off during the night and was now flashing a warning. In fact while I was asleep (and had my phone on silent) I had been called twice from the alarm company to say I needed to attend. I have done this a few times - had to get dressed and go out in the middle of the night because the alarm had been triggered. The first time it happened I took Nathan with me as I was scared to go out to a possible burglary on my own! The police were there when I got there - and we searched the building and couldn't see anything wrong.

Half-term reading
After that, there were so many false alarms that the police stopped attending - which was much worse because I felt much more vulnerable going over there on my own in the wee small hours! I can't believe they expected us Library Supervisors to do that! Now they have just employed a security firm to attend any call-outs in the night . I only handed the spare keys over to them last week. I guess they can't expect volunteers to come out during the night so they've had to pay this company to do it for them.  I won't miss that part of the job - that's for sure!



Anyway - when I looked around I noticed that the big poster for the wrestling at the Working Men's Club next door - which the promoter asked if he could put up a couple of days ago - had fallen off the wall in the foyer. That was what must have set off the alarm this time! Luckily I have experience of resetting them - so I soon got it sorted. The engineer called later in the morning - but I told him I'd managed to fix it. They charge a fortune if they have to send someone round!


Summer Reading Challenge!
It wasn't too busy today - it was pretty damp and cold and I think that a few families in the village may have gone away for the half-term break. I had a few girls in - but not many kids on their own.

I am looking forward to this evening as we were meeting up with Tracy and hubby Al - in the local pub for a meal and a few drinks. We'll get the chance for a bit of a catch-up!

Today's Blast from the Past is from one of my Summer Reading Challenges - when we decorate the library and try to get the children to read six books over the summer. If they succeed they get a medal and certificate. It has been proved that if children don't read over the long six week break - then when they get back to school their reading age can actually drop. This is a way to try to get them to keep up reading level all year.

No comments:

Post a Comment